On January 1, 2011, the Carlucci-Golden-DeSantis Funeral Home became incorporated and moved into its brand new 12,000 square foot facility located on the same property as the former funeral home. Also at this time its owners, Thomas J. Golden and Sidney R. DeSantis, combined their separate existing funeral homes, the Thomas J. Golden Funeral Home and the Ziman Funeral Home, Inc., into their existing business. Our three prominent separate funeral homes officially became one establishment. As it is known today, the Carlucci-Golden-DeSantis Funeral Home, Inc. has been serving the families in our region of various religious and ethnicities, for nearly a century. The funeral home is recognized as an icon in the community and has a reputation of professionalism and trust.
The Carlucci Funeral Home was established in 1919 in Dunmore, Pennsylvania by John "Jack" Carlucci. The original building was located on Smith Street in Dunmore, across the street from the original St. Anthony of Padua Church. In 1945, John Carlucci passed away and his wife, Mary Coviello Carlucci, took over ownership of the business while operating under what is known as a Widow's License. Her sons Michael J. Carlucci and Leonard Carlucci became licensed funeral directors and became involved in the family business.
In the year 1950, the family moved the business from its Smith Street location to East Drinker Street in Dunmore, where the funeral home is still located today. Michael J. Carlucci had served as supervisor of the business until his mother's death in 1983. He was sole owner of the business from 1983 up until 1996. At that time the business was purchased by it's current owners, Thomas J. Golden and Sidney R. DeSantis, both licensed funeral directors and owners of two other area funeral homes.
Stanley E. Golden was the founder of the original Golden Funeral Home. He was a graduate of the Dolan College of Embalming in Philadelphia. In 1947, upon his completion of his tour of duty with the U.S. Army as a Captain during World War II and a subsequent tour in Europe and Africa to facilitate the return of deceased U.S. soldiers to American soil, he established the business known as the Stanley E. Golden Funeral Home located at 2004 Delaware Street in Dunmore. Upon his death in 1977, his son and business partner, Thomas J. Golden continued operating the business as the Thomas J. Golden Funeral Home at the same location until December 31, 2010.
Meyer Ziman began in the funeral business in 1918 conducting services for the deceased of the Jewish community out of their private residences. It was in 1937 that Meyer built the Ziman Funeral Home on Gibson Street in Scranton. He continued operating the business for many years along with his son, Lewis B. Ziman, who had become a licensed funeral director himself. Upon Meyer’s death in 1982, Lewis continued to own and operate the family business for many years. In 1974, Lewis hired an associate, Sidney R. DeSantis, a licensed funeral director, to help with the business on a temporary basis. Eventually the temporary label was dropped and he worked for many years at the funeral home becoming involved in all aspects of the business and becoming well known in the Jewish community. After spending parts of three decades as an employee, in 1995 Sid purchased the business from Lewis. He continued to operate the business at its Gibson Street location with great professionalism and respect for Jewish religious customs until December 31, 2010. In April 2011 the building, which had been purchased by the Commonwealth Medical College, was razed to make room for the new school.